Argenta Dundee manufactures pharmaceutical products for the global animal health market – many of these are liquid based treatments for farm animals. The site also produces several gels and ointments for companion animals with the finished drug product manufactured, filled into a bottles/tubes and packaged into country specific packaging.
Pharmaceutical manufacturing is highly regulated; the site is subject to regular audits from authorities such as the Food and Drug Authority from the USA and the UK’s Veterinary Medicines Directorate. Making changes to processes or equipment in this environment is neither simple or quick. Exact product recipes and methods of manufacture are registered with the regulatory authorities in each country. As a result, making even “simple” changes to a process may require approval from multiple regulators and can take many months to implement.
In early 2016, it was announced that the parent company had decided to sell the site. If a suitable buyer could not be found, the site would be closed. This was the environment in which the site kicked off its operational excellence journey.
With help from CeeD, SMAS and Scottish Enterprise Work Place Innovation team the site has made significant progress in a short period of time. In April 2017, Argenta closed the deal to acquire the site. The Argenta team would like to share how they adapted lean to make progress in such a highly regulated environment.
- 09.00 – Registration- tea, coffee, bacon rolls
- 09.30 – Introductory remarks – Dave Nicholson, CeeD
- 09.40 – Introduction to Argenta Dundee – Steve Sibson, Site Head
- 10.00 – Argenta Dundee Operational Excellence journey
- Environmental assessment & Developing the high-level strategy
- Major work streams
- Formal training & projects
- Lean Transformation
- Workplace innovation
- Executing the strategy in a challenging environment & Lessons learned
- 12.00 – Q&A
- 12.30 – Optional Site tour for 10 (first come, first served)
Places are limited to 25. Click here to register now.